About Me

My photo
Writing, learn-ing, jewelry, deconstructing t-shirts and reality - it's what I do. I live to be inspired, and to inspire.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Metamorphosis


I started this blog a little over a year ago (The Bittersweet Scent of Art, my first post) as a means of emotional survival through self-expression. I was the dying rose, desperately releasing what good was left in me out into the world before it all turned to bitterness and rot. In response to what I thought was my slow emotional death I figured I’d live as much as possible, as creatively as possible, before I lost it.

“Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.” Anonymous

The funny thing about deciding to live when you think you’re pretty much finished is that you start taking risks, and the truth – about yourself and the world – no longer frightens you. You begin to grow, see new things and see the same things in new ways. You learn that fear doesn’t have to paralyze you, but rather it is often an indicator of imminent growth.

Somewhere in the course of a year life transformed from a drudging commitment to a thrilling, sometimes frightening, adventure. Expression, art and creativity can lead to healing and growth. Self-expression = Self-discovery. With self-discovery comes the discovery of a world which is simultaneously around you and within you. You discover a world filled with beauty when you find your own beauty; each one of us a point of light that can illuminate the darkness if we let ourselves… if we just, despite everything, choose to genuinely live.

(Photo by Kelene Blake)

No comments:

Post a Comment